Welcome to the Celiac Disease Center
Mackenzie is now gluten-free and feeling 100% better after battling digestive problems for years due to celiac disease.
Celiac disease in children affects the whole family. The Advocate Children’s Hospital celiac center is the only comprehensive center dedicated to treatment of celiac disease in the northwest suburbs. Celiac disease is one of the most common inherited autoimmune diseases.
What are celiac disease symptoms?
- Poor growth
- Stomach upset
- Some people have no symptoms at all. This is called “silent celiac disease."
How is celiac diagnosed?
- A simple blood test is the first step
- If the blood test is positive an intestinal biopsy is the “gold standard”. The biopsy is a relatively short and simple test.
|Gluten-Free Cooking Class
What is the treatment for celiac disease in children?
- The gluten-free diet is the only medical treatment
What is a gluten allergy?
- A gluten allergy is most likely “non-celiac gluten sensitivity”.
- Some people may have “non-celiac gluten sensitivity”, but not celiac disease.
- Celiac disease if left untreated can lead to medical problems
The celiac center is dedicated to providing full-service medical care for the child and family close to home.
Our pediatric gastroenterologist specializes in celiac disease diagnosis and ongoing medical care.
Our nutritionist specializes in celiac disease and will walk families through the gluten-free diet step by step. We provide community outreach to raise awareness and enable children to live a gluten-free life more easily.
Why Choose Our Celiac Center?
- Patient-centered approach, partnering with patients and families to provide care.
- We are staffed by a comprehensive, compassionate team including pediatric gastroenterologist and registered dietitian/nutritionist specializing in celiac disease.
- Individualized nutrition counseling for the entire family.
- Gluten-free diet classes to address all aspects of the diet including, restaurant eating, label reading, school lunch, modifying the family kitchen.
- Ongoing community outreach including partnering with celiac support groups and work with local restaurants and schools.
Services and Treatment
- Diagnostic testing: We provide the most accurate tests for celiac disease including antibody testing and endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis.
- Follow-up care
- Nutrition education on the gluten-free diet for the entire family as well as related nutrition issues
The primary treatment for celiac disease is the gluten-free diet. We will make sure the parents and children have a thorough understanding of all aspects of this complex diet. We help children navigate school lunches, social events and become more independent with the diet as they grow older.
Once established on the gluten-free diet, children can live full, healthy lives.
Meet Our Care Team
The Celiac Center of Advocate Children's Hospital includes:
Dr. Esperanza Garcia-Alvarez
Carrie Ek, RD, LDN
Coordinator, Celiac Center